Skip to main content

Week 12 EC: More Reading: King Arthur Part A

For extra credit reading this week, I chose to read Part A of the King Arthur unit. While I am familiar with the overall ideas and basic storyline behind King Arthur and his knights of the round table, I have never actually read this story, so I was curious to see what the style of writing was like, and if it matched the pictures I had in my head already. There were 3 main stories I found to be the most interesting.

I found it interesting that in the first section, it mentions Christmas. Later in the story it mentions Candlemas, which I googled and found is a Christian Holy Day celebrated on February 2nd. I think the point of mentioning these two holidays was to represent the time span that this story occurs within. I found the first story overall very familiar in the sense that Arthur pulling the sword out of the stone is one of the more common images he is associated with.

The second story of the Questing Beast was less familiar and I found it very interesting. I came across the mention of Merlin, which was cool because I didn't know these two characters were associated in the same storyline. I thought it was cool that Merlin presented himself in the form of a boy knight to Arthur and then prophesied their futures.

The final story I found most interesting was the Quest of the Holy Graal. In the note within the reading, I found something I didn't know about, which was that there were so many translations of this story and so many possibilities of alterations that there is no way to know the accuracy and truth behind this story. This is a story that I was familiar with, but did not really understand everything that had led up to it.

Overall, the writing style was easy to follow and grammatically easy to read. I liked that this writing was more prose and presented in a way that only a few cultural ideas or words needed to be looked up.

Bibliography: King Arthur Tales of the Round Table by Andrew Lang, King Arthur Unit

Image Info: King Arthur


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Hey everyone, my name is Stephanie Krawczyk. I'm from Tulsa, Oklahoma and I am beginning my senior and final year here at the University of Oklahoma studying Chemical Engineering. Although there are a lot of cool things about m major, I think the coolest thing about my major is that even though I have learned so much in my time here, there is so much out there to discover and continue learning! I love my family and I love that Tulsa isn't too far of a drive from them. And they can make the trip up to see me too. I have a younger brother, Adam, who just moved into his freshman year at the University of Arkansas, and I am so excited to see where his life takes him in the next couple of years. Also I have one dog who is the coolest dog in the whole world (even though all dogs are amazing). Her name is Kacy and she's 10 years old. I always make my parents send me pictures of her. Here is a picture I took of her: One of my other favorite things is food. I can't think of

Week 3 Story: The Parable of the Pups

There once was a family of purebred French bulldogs. They were very well off but they had never been challenged, and the mother and father began to worry that her pups were going to turn out spoiled and rude. The father was always out hunting for food for the family, so usually the mother was with their three pups. It had been a long time since the pups had seen their father. One day a dog who looked like their father began to walk towards their house, however, it was actually a mutt. The pups saw him in the distance and ran to greet him because they were overjoyed that their father had returned! They each brought with them a present to welcome him home with. The first pup brought his favorite toy with him, the second pup brought her favorite brush with her, and the third pup brought with him the most delicious treat that he had been saving to eat after they finished their chores. When they approached the dog that looked like their father they began to realize that this dog was not th