Skip to main content

Week 12 Storytelling: Raccoon Hood

Once there was a group of raccoons. They lived far from other raccoons, but they shared a friendship that they would always treasure and they always looked out for each other.

The King raccoon has just passed and as a result, there was much dispute over who should be the new king of the land. When word had spread to this group of raccoons, they travelled from afar and when they got to the land, they discovered the challenge that awaited them. Among the largest of trash cans, there was a bag of cool ranch Doritos that must be obtained, for whoever could remove this bag was for sure the indication of who should be the next king.

Among this group of raccoon friends, they all decided that they would try to become the next king, and they would as a result, help out each other and make sure they were all guaranteed wealth and happiness. Arty was among them, and he was the most fragile of the group.

However, Arty stepped up to the trash can and removed the Doritos bag with such great ease that immediately all the other raccoons began bowing down to him. Arty was confused though, because he thought that this was such a silly way to determine who would be king, but he accepted his title and decided that he would use his power for good.

As his first mission as king, Arty decided to gather his group of raccoon friends and make them all his worthy knights of the round table. He presented his plan to them and they all agreed that it was a good plan. The plan was that during the night, the knights would gather together and go around to take food from those raccoons who were wealthy and distribute it anonymously to the poor raccoons.

In the end, King Arty and his knights continued to distribute to the poor from the rich, and they were never caught because those who were rich who even noticed that they were being stolen from, decided to have good hearts and not press any charges.

Author's Note: This week for the extra credit reading, I read the first part of King Arthur. For my storytelling this week, I wanted to recreate a story that would have taken place in the time of King Arthur and the knights, but with animals as the main characters. I think that using animals to recreate stories is a great way to incorporate creativity and add a little fun. I chose raccoons to be the knights in my story because they are cute so they can be seen as nice animals, but they are capable of much more when they need to be, and even thieving. I also added a little twist of Robin Hood, because once the main raccoon who was meant to be King Arthur was established, I wanted his first mission to be in his mind an act of good, but still play into the thieving characteristic associated with raccoons.

Bibliography: King Arthur: Tales of the Round Table by Andrew Lang, King Arthur Unit

Image Info: Baby Bandit

Comments

  1. First of all, I really liked the setting of the trash cans and the Doritos. Without even knowing the context of this story I was drawn into it because of the setting. Your story is a very fun and unique version of the tale, I enjoyed reading it. I do like the addition of the Robin Hood trope, like you mentioned in the Author’s Note, it fits with the nature of raccoons. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie, this is the first story of yours that I read. Using raccoons as your characters gave the story an Aesop's Fables vibe and made the story pretty cute. After Arty was made king, I realized pretty quickly that the inspiration for your story was the tale of King Arthur and his knights of the round table. I always appreciate when I can tell where the inspiration for a story came from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie! This story is really adorable, and I laughed when you mentioned the trash cans and Doritos. "Arty" is such a good version of "Arthur" for a raccoon! I love that you took the time to come up with little details like that to make the story fit for raccoons and make your readers smile. And I like the Robin Hood twist!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Hey everyone, my name is Stephanie Krawczyk. I'm from Tulsa, Oklahoma and I am beginning my senior and final year here at the University of Oklahoma studying Chemical Engineering. Although there are a lot of cool things about m major, I think the coolest thing about my major is that even though I have learned so much in my time here, there is so much out there to discover and continue learning! I love my family and I love that Tulsa isn't too far of a drive from them. And they can make the trip up to see me too. I have a younger brother, Adam, who just moved into his freshman year at the University of Arkansas, and I am so excited to see where his life takes him in the next couple of years. Also I have one dog who is the coolest dog in the whole world (even though all dogs are amazing). Her name is Kacy and she's 10 years old. I always make my parents send me pictures of her. Here is a picture I took of her: One of my other favorite things is food. I can't think of

Week 3 Story: The Parable of the Pups

There once was a family of purebred French bulldogs. They were very well off but they had never been challenged, and the mother and father began to worry that her pups were going to turn out spoiled and rude. The father was always out hunting for food for the family, so usually the mother was with their three pups. It had been a long time since the pups had seen their father. One day a dog who looked like their father began to walk towards their house, however, it was actually a mutt. The pups saw him in the distance and ran to greet him because they were overjoyed that their father had returned! They each brought with them a present to welcome him home with. The first pup brought his favorite toy with him, the second pup brought her favorite brush with her, and the third pup brought with him the most delicious treat that he had been saving to eat after they finished their chores. When they approached the dog that looked like their father they began to realize that this dog was not th