Skip to main content

Week 13 EC: Learning by HEART: Stop Judging People

This week I read the article by Psychology Today, 10 Reasons to Stop Judging People, by Barbara Markway. This article interested me because in today's society it is very easy to judge people and be judgmental of somebody's actions, but in reality there is a good chance you don't know anything about them. I was curious to see what this article had to say.

The 10 things you can do to stop judging people, according to this article are:
1) Don't Blame Yourself
2) Be Mindful
3) Depersonalize
4) Look for Basic Goodness
5) Repeat the mantra "Just Like Me"
6) Reframe
7) Look at your own Behavior
8) Educate Yourself
9) Give the Person the Benefit of the Doubt
10) Feel Good About You

I think that the first one, don't blame yourself, is a great one because sometimes it is hard to control your thoughts and you often will find yourself judging people and it might be over something little. In the end, the more aware we are and the more we recognize that we shouldn't be blaming ourselves, the more we can move forward and start to have more empathy for one another.

Another important point, which goes back to what I said in the beginning of this post, was to educate yourself, because chances are you have no idea what is going on in this person's life. The more you get to know them the more you are going to be able to have empathy for them and help them instead of judging them.

In the end, its about feeling good about yourself. If you are happy with where and who you are and that person isn't really bothering you, there is no reason to judge them. So for the most part minding your own business and working to better yourself is the most important step in stopping judging others.

Source: 10 Reasons to Stop Judging People

Image Info: Stop Judging

Comments

  1. Hi Stephanie!
    I found this post in the blog stream for extra commenting and I'm glad I came across this! I think the article gave really good ways to judge others. I do agree with you though on minding your own business and working on bettering yourself. Ultimately, I think people only judge others because they are worried or insecure with who they are themselves as a person. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Hey everyone, my name is Stephanie Krawczyk. I'm from Tulsa, Oklahoma and I am beginning my senior and final year here at the University of Oklahoma studying Chemical Engineering. Although there are a lot of cool things about m major, I think the coolest thing about my major is that even though I have learned so much in my time here, there is so much out there to discover and continue learning! I love my family and I love that Tulsa isn't too far of a drive from them. And they can make the trip up to see me too. I have a younger brother, Adam, who just moved into his freshman year at the University of Arkansas, and I am so excited to see where his life takes him in the next couple of years. Also I have one dog who is the coolest dog in the whole world (even though all dogs are amazing). Her name is Kacy and she's 10 years old. I always make my parents send me pictures of her. Here is a picture I took of her: One of my other favorite things is food. I can't think of

Week 3 Story: The Parable of the Pups

There once was a family of purebred French bulldogs. They were very well off but they had never been challenged, and the mother and father began to worry that her pups were going to turn out spoiled and rude. The father was always out hunting for food for the family, so usually the mother was with their three pups. It had been a long time since the pups had seen their father. One day a dog who looked like their father began to walk towards their house, however, it was actually a mutt. The pups saw him in the distance and ran to greet him because they were overjoyed that their father had returned! They each brought with them a present to welcome him home with. The first pup brought his favorite toy with him, the second pup brought her favorite brush with her, and the third pup brought with him the most delicious treat that he had been saving to eat after they finished their chores. When they approached the dog that looked like their father they began to realize that this dog was not th